Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Working Vacation

I had all intentions of posting this on Monday but I've been a little forgetful lately. So here it is, Wednesday evening and I'm finally getting around to it. My bad.

I took this week off from work with the intentions of doing a re-write on a novel that I wrote and have been revising for almost 2 years, really it was the whole reason I started this blog. After one and a half rounds of editing I decided that it really wasn't working as I had initially written it. That is as a 1st person Multi-POV. About a month ago I decided that it will be so much better if I go back to writing in 3rd person which his how I started it in the first place. I thought it was going to be an easy fix. Me now wants to go back to Me then and laugh in her face.

You see, in dropping a POV I am tasked with deleting now unnecessary scenes, as there is no reason to now have the same scene play out from both when omniscient narrator can see it from both sides. So that cuts about a third of my writing to start. And when you're floating somewhere in the 60k range that is a large part. Also, by changing from 1st to 3rd I can't just copy and paste from the last draft. I literally am rewriting the entire thing. And I thought I could get it all done in a week. Now Me finds this hysterical for some odd reason.

On the bright side, some of the ideas I had before I started are really boosting what I had in the past draft and covering for my now missing word count. I would say that of the chunk I have completed almost half of it is new material. It has help close up plot holes that I knew were in there and it has also given me some new threads to weave in. So it's not a total disaster.

Now I just need to find time after my vacation is over to finish it before November. NaNoWriMo is fast approaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment