Monday, January 9, 2012

Exciting News and an Update

I know the exciting news is listed first but I'm going to give you some updates instead. Don't worry, I'll come back to the news I promise.

Regarding my resolutions, I have been remiss. I said I was going to write every day, I haven't. I said I was going to do 3000 words a day for The Guardian, I haven't. I said I was going to post once a week, meh, I'm close. Hard to judge this one when we're just over a week into the year. So those are my negatives. I'm fully aware of them which is a good thing. I know that I need to change the direction I'm already headed in, which is a better thing. And I'm not going to beat myself up, just yet, for being behind. It's 9 days in to 2012 and I have plenty of time to make this all work out. As for my fast approaching deadline? I'll have to go all out but I think it's doable.

Now for the good news. I have completed my outline for The Guardian so I get to check something off my list. Having that very broad plot outline gives me a direction to go in and will hopefully  make it easier. I've been struggling with getting the words right in the actual writing but I've just crossed a big hurdle and I have some forward momentum. I'm extending my deadline just a tiny bit to the 16th instead of the 15th. I'm off that Monday and will (hopefully) be putting the final touches on it.

All that is the boring stuff I know. You're waiting for this exciting news that I promised. I shall not keep you in suspense any longer. I shared my work with other people!! Okay, that might not be all that exciting for you but it's a HUGE step forward for me. Until I met with my critique group last night I literally had not shared my work with anyone that was not blood related to me. And while my Mom is encouraging she doesn't quite give me the feedback I need. It was nauseating and I was sweating buckets the whole time but when it was over I felt relieved.

Taking that first step is so vitally important. It was something I have known for a very long time but I always said I'd do it later. I never thought that my writing has been good enough to let other people see it. And while it isn't perfect I got some really good feedback and it has given me the inspiration and courage to move forward. I actually feel like a weight has been lifted. Onward and upward my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment