Thursday, March 4, 2010

On Writing

So I finally took the advice of fellow NaNoers and picked up a book to read more about the craft of writing. And it's called "On Writing". Shocking, I know! But it came highly recommended so I thought what the heck. Plus, it's written by Stephen King, arguably one of the best writers of the modern era. I truly love his work. And this turned out to be no exception. He worked off of personal experience and there are some really great words of wisdom in there.

To say that it was inspirational wouldn't be saying enough. There are so many things in there that I related to and he made it seem not quite so difficult. He's straight forward without being in your face and I could take hours of creative writing classes to get what he teaches. I would recommend the book to any aspiring writer out there. Or to anyone who is a fan of Stephen King as it shows a different side of the horror writer.

I'm feeling more confident in what I'm writing and while I still have my reservations about the quality of my writing I know that I'm an adequate writer. And I'm on my way to being a good one. I have a long way to go to get to that point but I will get there.

I even finished Chapter 3 today at lunch. It's all hand-written but someday I'll translate it to Word. I'm just enjoying the connection I have with the pen and the page.

PS - I had actually written a post today at work but I accidentally hit a button on my phone and POOF it was gone. So my excitement on the writing has waned a bit, but it's still there!

No comments:

Post a Comment